Skip to main content

M7974 at Ardoch Roman Fort



Last Autumn, I got a swatch of this lovely Atelier Brunette Viscose Crepe. At the time I was looking for a lining to a jacket (that I’m still working on) but it didn’t quite fit the bill. I absolutely loved the fabric though, so I kept the swatch. I had put off getting more to make a full garment because I didn’t trust myself to make something nice enough from it. At the time, I probably only sewed once a week for about 3 hours and the things I made were full of mistakes and dumb fabric choices. I’m going to stick some of these up on my blog at some point but even though I was proud of the fact I could make then, I didn’t really enjoy wearing the clothes enough to justify investing in nice fabric.


Another issue was that I couldn’t decide on what to make from the fabric. I was jumping between a blouse or a wrap dress but none of my ideas felt perfect. I really liked the M7974 but I had it in my head that I only wanted to make view C in a light weight linen like fabric and was worried the neckline was too low for me.


What finally motivated me to start this project was when Sister Mintaka had a discount and I knew that it would be the perfect time to grab some of this fabric. She also sells the bias binding made out of the same fabric and I knew that I wanted to work on my finishing techniques as pinking shears were not cutting it.


I am really happy and proud of this make. Most of the seams were sewn up using french seams and the waistband and sleeve head were finished with bias binding. I fell between a size 12 at the bust and 14 at the waist and hips so I decided to do a mock up. I’m so glad I did because I still haven’t learnt to alter and the size 14 was too big everywhere so I went with a size 12. One thing I should have noticed was the bust was too short on me and I will need to lengthen the pattern next time I make it. I will also probably try a small bust adjustment as I found that it’s slightly too baggy there. On the current dress, I’ll just fix this with a snap.



I absolutely love wearing this dress. It has become one of my go to dresses during lockdown. I love how the fabric is lightweight and it looks slightly vintage with the ties on the sleeves and the gathering on the bust. I was debating on adding the pockets as this was the first time I was using french seams and it seemed too scary but I am so glad I did. I'm not confident that they will be strong enough to hold much, but it's always nice to have them.


The pattern wasn’t the easiest but because I made two mock ups, I was able to practice the hardest parts before I made the final garment and I am confident that I will be able to do an even better job if I make another one. I am already planning on making a longer length version for Autumn. I used the burrito method when attaching the yoke as I had seen this technique recommended by other people who had made the dress. I still don’t think I sewed up the midriff front correctly because I ended up just winging it. I also made a mistake when cutting out the fabric and only cut 2 of one of the skirt pieces instead of the 4 it needed. I ended up having to order another half meter of fabric to fix this which was super annoying. The most gut wrenching mistake I made was when I was trimming the seam allowance while finishing the final seam. I accidentally took a small snip out of the back of my dress. After a bit of panicking, I sewed in a small patch to try and cover it. Luckily it isn’t very noticeable as it's on the back just above the waist. But that moment when I thought I ruined the whole garment was the worst.


Overall this is now one of my favourite dresses and I have been wearing it all the time. I definitely want to try out the other pattern views as I think using a different fabric and sleeve option could make a very different dress. I am super proud of it and it has unleashed a new sew-jo in me and I am making more, better quality garments.


Please follow me @cheap_skatefashion on Instagram to see more behind the scenes and when I next post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raccoons and Ringlets

After we went swimming the other day, I just let my hair dry naturally. This produced what has been dubbed as my “triangle hair”. My hair usually curls tighter when I leave it, but I’ve been straightening it a lot more often and it seems to have melted my hair or something because the last couple of times it was just straight frizz. The lighting is terrible in all these pictures so if I look a little red that’s why. The jumper I'm wearing is from the men’s section. I find that guy’s jumpers are a lot warmer and the neck-line is so high, you don’t need a scarf. In Primark specifically, the men’s jumpers seem to be less itchy and wash a lot better as they don’t shrink as badly. The styles are usually very similar to the woman’s and they seem to be in more muted colours which is something I particularly like.      I'm wearing: Jumper from Primark (they are  usually  £6 but I managed to get mine at the start of summer for £3.) Denim Shorts from

A Storm in a Teacup

So the other day I was out shopping with my friend when I saw this dress and got a bit over excited. It was long enough to go past my knees! Being something like 5’10, dresses that are long enough on other people are always too short on me. So many of the dresses I have, I have to wear with leggings or even skinny jeans. So the fact this dress wasn’t just long enough, but went past my knees was a novelty. It’s really pretty too, these pictures don’t show the top of it but it has a 1940’s sort of feel to it. I can’t wait until the weather warms up and I can wear it with my arms out.    The iso is a bit high in some of these pictures as the sun was setting so half of them are a bit grainy. I didn’t realise this at the time and even though I kind of like the effect, it would have been better if they all looked the same. Oh well, I will just have to remember this for next time. I also went a bit mad in Primark and I have filmed a video on what I bought, which I’ll

A New Year

So another year has come to an end and I don’t have much to reflect back on. Yes, I have grown more in this year than any other, but there haven’t been any specific things that I am proud of and I’ve came nowhere near completing my resolutions. This year instead of setting resolutions that I conveniently forget within the month, I am going to make ones that I will have to stick to. For starters, my mother and I are going to start an exercise class and drag the other to it. I'm going to try and vary my hair and makeup more and include them in my blog posts. I'm also going to do a 365 project where I take a picture every day. To make sure I’m doing this, I will post them to my Instagram. Hopefully this will make me improve my photos because let’s face it; they’re all pretty bad right now.  These photos are of my outfit from this New Year’s Eve taken on my phone as the connector for the proper camera has broken, so they are all a bit blurry. We had a very casual “party